Friday 31 December 2010

The essence of Bhagavad Gita - Part 8

[A freelance translation of these 108 stanzas from the Dnyaneshwari. The original composition is based on a specific meter which follows a fixed pattern of four semi-sentences. A similar pattern is followed in the translated version as well.]


(81-82)
Maintain a constant remembrance of the real Self
Which is ever all pervading
By burning all the imagery projected by the mind
Invoke me in this way

By heart worship each and every one
With a firm conviction that they are nothing else but my forms
This way bridge an individual Self with the almighty
Enjoy the eternal bliss of getting hold of me by abiding as Self

(83)
In principle when you dedicate to me
The mind and the intellect in entirety
You will undoubtedly get hold of me
I firmly assure you so and treat this as my promise

Importance of practice - easier ways ultimately leading to total surrender

(84)
In case you find it difficult
To dedicate the mind steadfastly to my worship
Let me tell you a knack of practice
Which is simple and straightforward

(85)
Dedicate the mind to my worship
Make it work in tandem with your intellect
With a sincere urge of getting hold of me
At least for a moment every day

(86)
Starting with baby steps initially
Even if you build a habit of such a practice gradually
Still, slowly but certainly you will get rid of
The addiction of the sensual pleasures

(87)
Starting on the full moon day
The reflection of the moon in a lake
Decays day by day
And completely vanishes on the no moon day

Similarly with a gradual detachment from the mundane affairs
And abiding more and more as the real Self
O Arjuna, see how the mind
Merges totally in my divine consciousness

(88)
Your sense of surrender at my feet
Will strengthen by each passing moment
The joy of getting hold of me
Will then shine in your heart with a glory of the full moon

(89)
O Arjuna, as practice makes man perfect
Live with a firm conviction that nothing is impossible
O mighty warrior, with such a simplistic practice
Merge in my divine consciousness

(90)
The mind has a very useful virtue
It clings to everything if finds enjoyable
It then gets engrossed in pleasure and becomes calm and steady easily
Once affixed it is highly reluctant to move away from the pleasure

One gets immense pleasure in experiencing even a slightest glimpse of the real Self
Make the mind cling regularly to such a pleasure
It will then firmly stay in that blissful state by itself
Without paying attention to the sensual pleasures

[To be continued ...]

No comments:

Post a Comment