Wednesday 29 December 2010

The essence of Bhagavad Gita - Part 6

[A freelance translation of these 108 stanzas from the Dnyaneshwari. The original composition is based on a specific meter which follows a fixed pattern of four semi-sentences. A similar pattern is followed in the translated version as well.]


(61)
It is neither the form nor the formless
It is neither one nor many
It exists as the Self by its own virtue
It is neither liberated nor in a bondage

(62)
Phoney is the creation, phoney is the nature
Phoney are all the creatures
Truth alone pervades the Universe
Which is nothing but the eternal real Self

Those who can distinguish between
The known (the periphery) and the knower (the core)
Can transcend the restrictions imposed by nature
And merge with the real Self

(63)
They see all the creatures they meet
Simply as a form of the divine
And with such a conviction wander merrily
Immersed in the divine

(64)
The air occupies the entire space
(For it ) Sky is the limit
Similarly entire Universe becomes his home
Know him as the Universal consciousness

Devotion as a mandatory attribute of a true spiritual seeker

(65)
One who has a steadfast intellect
Plus has absolute faith in the worship
O Arjuna, such a devotee is close to my heart
He becomes dearer than my own life to me

(66)
I cannot be found in the entire solar system
At times even in my own abode (known as Vaikuntha)
At times I even transcend the hearts
Of accomplished Yogis

(67)
But O Partha (Arjuna’s nickname), in the neighbourhood of my devotees
Search me with dedication
Such devotees keep chanting my name delightfully
Relentlessly, vibrantly and with an abundant novelty

(68)
Always engrossed in singing my prayers
They keep reciting my names
Their Soham Japa becomes continuous effortlessly
With a constant remembrance of the real Self

(69)
Eyes enjoying the splendour of my beautiful forms
Speech dedicated to singing my prayers
And with a loving fondness
Ears committed to listening the scriptures praising my virtues

(70)
Their mind is always and happily
Occupied in delivering my vows
They take pride in dedicating everything
Whole heartedly at my feet

[To be continued ...]

No comments:

Post a Comment