Thursday 30 December 2010

The essence of Bhagavad Gita - Part 7

[A freelance translation of these 108 stanzas from the Dnyaneshwari. The original composition is based on a specific meter which follows a fixed pattern of four semi-sentences. A similar pattern is followed in the translated version as well.]


(71)
May such devotees be innocent, naive and ordinary gentlemen
May they not be learned, charismatic or from influential families
Yet, when compared with Me, I never treat them as inferior in any way
Those who worship me with true devotion are in a total unison with me

The significance of devotion - a means of building a unified society

(72)
Out of lustful delusions, pure love, fear or even hatred
Once the mind finds an excuse and enters in my form
Be assured that it(the mind) naturally merges in my form
Then who cares about caste, ethnicity or social status as such terms become absurd

(73)
Streams, waterfalls, rivers, canals and so on
Lots of such differences are apparent
Once they merge with the ocean
They naturally become oceanic

(74)
Similarly all the distinctions like
Men, Women, Labourers, Businessmen, Animals and so on
Subsist only as long as they do not attain the real Self
By practising devotion and finally reaching a state of complete surrender

(75)
Men, Women, Labourers, Businessmen and Animals
Even those born out of sinful activities
All of them attain liberation
By humbly worshipping me

(76)
Without any discrimination between the so called superior and inferior
I only appreciate the true devotion
I reside in the hearts of the sincere devotees
My grace is unconditionally available to all the devotees

(77)
Offering things like leafs, flowers, fruits or water
Are simply different ways of worshipping me
As a divine reincarnation of Lord Vishnu
All I really admire is a sense of true devotion

Surrender - the peak of devotion - as synonym for the ultimate spiritual wisdom

(78)
While engaged in activities or while taking rest
The devotees fondly maintain a constant remembrance of me
They see nothing else but my manifestations
When exploring the external world or while exploring the Self within

(79)
For a realised sage
Entire universe becomes flooded with the divine energy
Such extremely rare enlightened sages acquire universal consciousness
And joyously play their role in the divine cosmic play

(80)
Dedicate all your actions to me
By keeping the mind focused on me
Nurture a sense of devotion and love for me in your heart
Make this the main theme of your life

[To be continued ...]

No comments:

Post a Comment